Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tutorial: crochet nesting cups

Hi everyone. First off, I just wanted to say how truly honored  I am to be a part of such an amazing group of talented bloggers! Last season I was drooling over all the great tutorials. Seriously, I wanted to make all the Comfy Sews and Cozy Knits! :)   In deciding what to make for this season, I soon realized I was in the ring with myself, battling it out, fighting over what side I wanted to be on. I love knitting and I love sewing. Well, crochet always gets the shaft, so I thought I would stand in the Crochet Corner in the verses ring! Knitters are always getting all the attention and it’s high time we had a duel! So, what do you say fellow crocheters, shall we hold our hooks high and fight? Lets start stitching! (Now I have the dueling song stuck in my head. You know, the one from Micky Mouses “Ye Olden Days”, circa 1933.  
“We’re gonna’ have a duel, we’re gonna’ have a duel,
“we’re gonna’ have a duel, we’re gonna’ have a duel”). :)

 
For my tutorial I am doing three crocheted nesting cups. I am super excited to share this pattern with you! It is super easy so even beginners can make these. They are great for stashing those random nick knacks, or, dare I say it, sewing notions! *gasp* ha ha! :) They are so cute, and fun for kids too. My 6 year old daughter keeps asking when I’m making hers so she can store all her trinkets too. :)
 

 The pattern is basically the same for each cup. All that is different is the number of starting stitches and rows for each size. To add pattern I made stripes by changing colors after a few rows.

Here is what you need to get started
Hook size
I used US H 8 / 5.00mm

Yarn
medium 4 weight
in three different colors

Here is a key for all the abbreviations I use:
dc = double crochet
ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch
beg = beginning
rnd = round
-Lets get started-

Ch 4, join with a sl st to form a ring.

Rnd 1) ch 2 for first dc, *7dc in ring, sl st to top of beg ch.
*8 stitches, counting the ch2 = Sm
10 stitches, counting the ch2 = Med
12 stitches, counting the ch2 = Lg

Rnd 2) ch 2 for first dc, 2 dc in each  dc, sl st to top of beg ch.

Rnd 3) ch 2 for first dc, 2 dc, in each  dc, sl st to top of beg ch.

Rnd 4) ch 2 for first dc, 1 dc into back loop of each  dc, sl st to top of beg ch. See photo below.
(Stitching into the back loop creates a nice edge to the base of the cups.)

Rnd 5) ch 2 for first dc, 1 dc in each  dc, sl st to top of beg ch.

For all consecutive rounds, repeat Rnd 5 and fasted off.
Sm) 5 pink rnds ,1 orange, 1 beige. 7 rounds total.

Med) 6 pink rnds, 2 orange, 1 beige. 9 rounds total.

Lg) 7 pink rnds, 3 orange, 2 beige. 12 rounds total.

So that's it! :) Super easy right?! Now you can go fill yours up with stuff! 

 
Mine are on my sewing table. The large one holds my threads, the medium one holds my buttons, and the small one holds my measuring tapes and a few random strands of embroidery floss.  
This was fun! Thanks so much Shannon for having me!

5 comments:

HOMEmomMADE said...

Stopping in from Dana's last minute gift guide. I can't wait to try this.

Thanks!

Janelle Savage said...

I found your patterns on pinterest. I was wondering what the diamaters of the baskets were.
THey are very cute. I have made the smallest one except it looks much bigger than yours does.
Thanks for the Tut.
Janelle

Miss in Bloom said...

Hi Lorajean

I made these, I love them too.
No way are mine as pretty as yours though, blogged about them today and linked back to your lovely site (I could spend all day here!). Thanks so much for sharing :o)
http://thebloomingtimes.blogspot.com/2012/02/current-crochet-projects.html

Melissa C. said...

Hey LoraJean,
I love these cute crochet bowls! My name is Melissa and I'm the managing editor for FaveCrafts.com. I'd love your permission to publish this project on our site! You can reach me at mconner@primecp.com for more information. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you!
Best,
Melissa

JennyB said...

Hi Lorajean,
I came across these adorable crochet nesting cups and love them! I am one of the editors for AllFreeCrochet.com and would love to feature your tutorial on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would just love it and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple. Your project will look similar to this project already on my site:
http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Granny-Square-Afghans/Citrus-Spray-Afghan-Square
I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Jenny

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Etsy shop

:)