Hello, I am just re-posting the recipe I shared over on MADE in December.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I am so excited to share one of my favorite holiday cookie recipes; Chocolate-Dipped Orange Logs! I love eating fruit in its season, It makes our Christmas time that much more special because this is the only time of year we buy oranges! :) These cookies use the peels to give them a tasty orange flavor. I don't know why it is but chocolate and orange always go together so well, and the end result is such a yummy mouth watering cookie that you will want to eat three batches! (OK maybe that's just me.)
The recipe is fairly simple, the cookie making part goes pretty fast and kind-of makes up for the time it takes to dip each one in chocolate. Another thing I love about this recipe is you can prepare and refrigerate the dough a day or two a head of time.
Chocolate Dipped Orange Logs
- 3 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup real butter, softened (none of that fake margarine stuff)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel ( I say fresh because once I tried to refrigerate some orange peel over night and it dried up and didn’t work at all)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine flour and salt then set aside
- In separate bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer, beat till fluffy
- Beat in eggs one at a time
- Beat in orange peel and vanilla
- Stir in flour and salt mixture
- Roll dough into 1in. balls
- Roll balls into log shapes and place 1in. apart on greased cookie sheets
- Bake for 16-18 min (till bottoms are golden brown)
- Cool cookies on wire rack (cookies should harden as they cool)
- Melt chocolate and dip each cookie in half way
- Place dipped cookies on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper
- Let chocolate cool and harden. ( If you are impatient like me you can put them in the freezer for a few minuets to set the chocolate faster.)
- Makes about 36 cookies
There you have it! A wonderfully delicious cookie you'll want to share with your friends and neighbors! I am making theses cookies today to give out as we go caroling.
And because I can’t share treats without cute packaging, I am making origami boxes with windows to handout the cookies in. You can see my tutorial on how to make origami boxes here on my blog, and learn how to add a window in it here.