Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Tutorial : Candy filled valentine doily


I have had this idea in my head for a long time now and I am so excited to share it with you!  Seriously, can you get any cuter than valentine doilies laced up and filled with candy? Adding a heart window flap just magnifies the cuteness!  Plus the lacing part is super easy and fun for kids to do.
 
Materials
  • red card stock
  • hole punch
  • large scallop scissors
  • yarn
  • candy
  • cellophane (or recycled plastic bag)
  • x-acto knife
  • tape

1.  The first thing you need to do is make two doilies. (See my doily tutorial here... Also, instead of punching two rows of holes I only did one).

2.  Next you need to cut a little heart window out of one of the doilies. I made a heart template and traced it in the middle. following the tracing lines, I cut only half the heart with an x-acto knife. (This part is not intended for kids.). Then I folded it over to make a cute little flap that finishes the other half of the heart shape. (Remember to erase any pencil marks when finished.)
 
3.  Now you need to put plastic in the window. (You can use cellophane but I just cut out a piece of plastic from an old bag I had on hand.) Tape the plastic to the back of the doily to cover the hole.

4.  Grab some yarn, lace it up three fourths of the way, and fill with candy. Finish lacing and tie a pretty bow at the top.
Ta-da you're done!
Enjoy your sweet little valentines!

{I am linking up at these link parties}

Post a Comment

8 Comments

Ada @ New York said…
Love the peek-aboo heart window/door.
Everyday Art said…
Ok, that is SERIOUSLY cute! I'm so glad I found your site. :) love it. your photos are inspiring.
Delia said…
This is so pretty! It was fun to hear you talk about it last week and then see it on your blog! The little window/door is very cute.lioned
Delia said…
Sorry...the end of my comment was the word verification. Ha!
Jackie said…
Lorajean! I love this! So simple but beautifully executed. Your tutorial is really great.

I have a birthday party coming up soon and may have to try these out as party favors. Will let you know if I do! Thanks.
Mari said…
Hi Larajean,
Just thought I'd let you know I featured your adorable tutorial here:

http://choochmagooz.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-tuesday-valentines-special.html

Saludos, Mari